In 1946 the Holmesglen Housing Factory was established in order to manufacture prefabricated concrete houses. With the acute housing shortage created by World War II, the former Commonwealth Tank factory building, still standing on the site with its distinctive saw-tooth roof, was re-assigned for a State Housing Project and leased to the Victorian Housing Commission. At the factory at Holmesglen the entire operation became a production line process and the concrete houses were transported to construction sites. By 1948, 1,000 houses had been produced. By 1964 the Concrete House Project was turning out pre-cast walls for villas as well as 2, 3, 4, 8 and 20 storey concrete flats in slum reclamation areas, including the Horace Petty Estate in South Yarra. Park Towers, the award winning 30 storey flats in South Melbourne, reputed to be the tallest pre-cast, load-bearing wall building in the world, was built at Holmesglen. By 1980 the factory had closed. The building occupied by the housing factory is now part of Holmesglen Institute of TAFE.