The Lawn Tennis Association of Victoria (LTAV) was formed in 1892. In 1920, to accommodate the growing popularity of the game, a seventeen acre (6.8 hectares) site was purchased in the suburb of Kooyong. Twenty lawn courts were laid out and in 1922 the clubhouse was built to the design of architects Ballantyne & Hare. The reinforced concrete stand, designed by engineer James Knox, originally provided 5,500 seats and was opened by champion player (Sir) Norman Brookes in 1927.
The northern stand extension was constructed in 1934, just prior to massive floods, which submerged the original stand. The Kooyong courts were graced by a succession of international players and Kooyong began its long association with the Australian Championships in 1927, hosting the event in most years until 1987. Kooyong also had strong links to the Davis Cup Challenge – hosting the event on seven occasions from 1946. The Kooyong Classic is held each January as a lead up to the Australian Open and regularly attracts leading international players, maintaining the Club’s tradition as an internationally significant tennis venue.